It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:24 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:26 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Hi :)

I hope I can make suggestions too! ;)

First of all, some of your functions call die() and users end up with a white page with no text and no idea what happened or what went wrong.
I think it would be a good idea to give at least an error message on that white page, or even better go back to the original page and give an error.

Secondly, would it be possible to have an extra variable in the .desc file? I would like to have an text to use for the alt text for the picture, but also a description below the image.
Now the text that is saved in the .desc is shown both as the alt text and below the picture.
I would for instance like to call the picture 'Violeta' and then the description 'This is a painting called Violeta, made in 2009'.

What do you think? :)

Pavel

Post subject: Functions call die() & additional labels support
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:26 am 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 am 
Developer
Developer

I rename and replace original topic. Please use as descriptive topic's name as possible. All suggestions should go in Gallery Brainstorming forum.

We are glad that You are active member of Admiror Gallery Community and have ideas how to improve AG.

1. About function die()
Component is very young product, and if we have function die() without any Error Message this is our miss and I agree that user must have some kind of feedback. This will be fixed for sure.

2. About additional labels
We were thinking about have image titles and image description, but there are some issues with this. First obstacle we solve with XML files (http://www.vasiljevski.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45). Now we have unlimited number of labels, on any language. Greatest issue is that Admiror Gallery is more an engine than gallery. It's a platform for using open source web galleries (like Slimbox, Fancybox, etc.). 99% of all open source galleries has only one label supported (caption for image). We can have additional label, named Image Title, but it will be shown only in custom made Templates and Popups.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:13 pm 
Developer
Developer

OK, ok, Die() is a bad function, and I will change that to something more meaningful :) That is my fault, i confess :)

Try the new gallery that uses XML files instead of .DESC files.
As for your request to have different caption(title) and alt text for the image, this is possible, but it requires a great deal of change in the component image manager. I will keep this in mind ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:38 am 
Contributor
Contributor

kekeljevic wrote:
2. About additional labels
[...] It's a platform for using open source web galleries (like Slimbox, Fancybox, etc.). 99% of all open source galleries has only one label supported (caption for image). We can have additional label, named Image Title, but it will be shown only in custom made Templates and Popups.
*thinks*

Well, if you keep the current labels and use that for the existing gallery templates, and add a new label called 'Image Title', then your clients can use either the existing gallery template (with 1 title/description) or use a modified or new template to use both labels separately. Nothing would go wrong with existing templates, it would just not use the extra functionality your product delivers.

I don't think adding 1 more label is much work? I can write the code if you want! :)

Pavel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:55 am 
Developer
Developer

You aren't the first person who requested this. We should implemented it.

Post subject: Re: Functions call die() & additional labels support
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:55 am 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:55 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Hi :)

I suggest you think about the MySQL option first. If you decide to go that way, the adding of extra attributes will make :

- your old versions work with old functionality;
- your new versions work with new fields/functionality.

It'd be bad if you first change your software to add new attributes, then switch to MySQL anyway...

P.