All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: New Image Manager GUI
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:06 pm 
Developer
Developer

Attachment:
concept2.png
concept2.png [ 75.95 KiB | Viewed 10400 times ]

This is basic concept for new GUI. AG users usually has an experience in Windows Explorer, Linux Nautilus or Mac OS Finder, when working with files and folders. Image Manager should follow this kind of workflow.

It would be helpful if You took a participation in little questionnaire. You cannot give the wrong answer, we don't want to test You, as potential users. Only our concept can be stupid, Your answers can't :-) . So, relax and write You assumptions on these questions.

1. How to select an item?

2. How to select more than one items?

3. How to delete item?

4. How to copy item?

5. How to move item?

6. How to change item name?

7. How to create new folder?

8. How to upload new image?

9. How to edit Item Captions?

10. How to add a bookmark?

11. How to remove bookmark?

12. How to go back to previous folder?

13. How to Search for item?

14. How to Switch to List View from Thumbs View?

Post subject: New Image Manager GUI
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:06 pm 
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:10 pm 
Maegashira
Maegashira

Nice :) I like idea of file manager like UI.
Most tasks could done by right-click context menu (http://davidwalsh.name/js/contextmenu) and/or for users with disabled context menu changes, drop-down actions menu.
Than... as managing is mostly file management maybe You find this useful https://github.com/cpojer/mootools-filemanager

And one more suggestion: batch descriptions or/and single picture description in popup and navigation to next/previous picture.

Quote:

fine for me the way You came up with on preview.

Greets

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:53 am 
Contributor
Contributor

kekeljevic wrote:
This is basic concept for new GUI. AG users usually has an experience in Windows Explorer, Linux Nautilus or Mac OS Finder, when working with files and folders. Image Manager should follow this kind of workflow.

It would be helpful if You took a participation in little questionnaire. You cannot give the wrong answer, we don't want to test You, as potential users. Only our concept can be stupid, Your answers can't :-) . So, relax and write You assumptions on these questions.

Been meaning to answer this for some time, and hopefully by doing so it will jog others into doing the same :)

I like the look of the new GUI in the attachment - as you say it follows the "standard" look of most GUI's these days, it's also much more concise than the current one.

Do you lads know of Directory Opus at all? I use this for my Windows-replacement system. It sits on top of Windows and expands the interface no end.

So onto your list of questions:

1. How to select an item?
Obviously with the mouse button left click, but also the ability to CTRL-click for multiple items NOT next to each other in the system, and to SHIFT-click first and last items to select everything in-between.

2. How to select more than one items?
See no 1 :)

3. How to delete item?
Using a "delete" check box (as you already have) but also pressing the "Del" button - with a confirmation box that does NOT have a "remember this" option (you don't want novice users accidentally ticking that box and then next time they accidentally hit the DEL button for all their work to disappear!)

4. How to copy item?
Check-box select and then CTRL-C is the standard convention for copying. But also a Copy button.

5. How to move item?
Check-box select and then CTRL-V is the standard convention for moving. But also a Move button.

6. How to change item name?
Well normally that would just be a case of clicking the name so its highlighted then changing it and pressing enter, but in this case I think it would be more sensible to have a "EDIT" button. This would throw up a pop-up with the Image (twice thumbnail size maybe?) its name, its attributes, its permissions, its priority etc etc.

7. How to create new folder?
CTRL-N is the general condition here, but also a New Folder icon.

8. How to upload new image?
Two versions: "Single File Uploader" and "Multiple File Uploader". On each page using the Single File uploader would load the file selected directly into whatever level of the hierarchy you are currently in, whereas the multiple file uploader involves selecting where you want new images to go (create a folder if needed) and all the rest of that stuff.

9. How to edit Item Captions?
I would still go with the idea of having an "EDIT" button on each image/folder which then pops up an interface for that file with things like this in. It means a new page is not loaded saving bandwidth and no need to keep clicking back/forward or apply. Simply Save and Cancel buttons to shut the pop-up down.

10. How to add a bookmark?
The star check-box that you use currently works fine.

11. How to remove bookmark?

Un-check the star next to the item.

I like your breadcrumb system already in place.

A search bar at the top of the page bringing results up on a new page.

The icons shown in the above example is perfect.

The main gist of this is that (in my opinion) a pop-up sub-system should be employed that means each folder and image has an EDIT button underneath it with 90% of the specific file things inside this pop-up: Show the image at a reasonable size (click to enlarge); Name change; File Comment; Files dimensions and size; Priority; Attributes (Show/Don't Show/Admin Only/Logged in users only); Delete file; Move file; Copy file; Rate file (1-5 stars); Previous/Next image buttons too! and possibly other things I can't think of right now.

Some of those things would be available via the over-view also. A check box selecting technique such as you already have with buttons at the top for move/copy/delete. Basically so these things can be done en-masse, but also from within the individual images edit page.

I think that's about it for my ideas for now :D

Sam / Bifford

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:50 pm 
Developer
Developer

@Bifford
Your post is exactly what I'm looking for from AG Community. It's great and useful post, which will push our beloved Extension further. I'm hopping that the other AG Members will follow Your footsteps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:33 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

kekeljevic wrote:
@Bifford
Your post is exactly what I'm looking for from AG Community. It's great and useful post, which will push our beloved Extension further. I'm hopping that the other AG Members will follow Your footsteps.

No problem - having been an Amiga user, tester of programs and staff writer and proof-reader I'm used to writing informative ideas and "what would make this better" lists :D

Glad to be of service!! :D

Sam / Bifford

Post subject: Re: New Image Manager GUI
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:33 pm